The Columbia City Gallery is an artist’s cooperative and a program of SEEDArts, a non-profit organization in Southeast Seattle. Gallery members are responsible for all aspects of retail operations, including sales and display. Gallery members also vote in the jury sessions to select new members.
The gallery mounts seven exhibits per year. All members have the option of signing up for four, five, six, or seven exhibits during the year. Membership dues vary based on the number of exhibits in which you chose to participate.
Note: rents are prorated for members joining the gallery mid-year – refer to the Jury Schedule to see partial-year rates. All members work up to 2 shifts per month (each shift is 4.25 hours). All members share the Benefits and Responsibilities.
Benefits to Members
- Gallery affiliation and the opportunity to exhibit work regularly;
- Dedicated space in gallery loft to store and sell your artwork year round;
- A page on our web site;
- Inclusion in publicity materials (exhibit cards and press releases for one show per year);
- Participation in the running of a gallery and in the vision of a grassroots arts organization;
- Information about professional development and artist opportunities.
Responsibilities of Members
- Sign a one-year contract, agreeing to full participation;
- Staff the gallery up to 2 shifts per month. The number of shifts is determined by the current number of members. Each shift is 4.25 hours.
- Members must attend monthly membership meetings, participate in gallery operations, and share duties for events such as setting up and staffing openings, etc;
- Sign up for a Gallery Committee (display, membership, etc) or a Gallery Task (various duties for which members are responsible). Every member is expected to fulfill a role in the gallery.
- Provide new work for every exhibit in which you are included;
- Pay an initial membership fee of $100 and a $12 fee to purchase a gallery key;
- Pay monthly dues by the 1st of each month.
The gallery receives a 25% commission on all work sold in the gallery. Artists are paid by check the month following the sale.
Monthly dues are as follows:
- 4 of 8 exhibits: $75 / month
- 6 of 8 exhibits: $100 / month
- 8 of 8 exhibits: $125 / month
The gallery accepts applications for membership in all media. We review applications and vote on new members at our monthly membership meeting, which is the second Tuesday of each month. When we have openings, we jury – the schedule for Jury Sessions can be downloaded from the ‘about’ page of our website. Please check with the gallery to see if applications are being accepted when you plan to apply.
To apply for membership, fill out the Membership Application and attach a copy of your resume or biography and/or artists’ statement. In particular, we want to know about your artistic career, including your education, exhibits, awards and professional affiliations. Please mail or deliver these to the gallery by the Application Deadline to ensure you will be included in the Jury Session. Once your application is received, an artist from our Membership Committee will call to schedule an appointment at the gallery the weekend before our jury session. At this meeting, you will drop off your work samples (for our entire membership to see) and meet with the Membership Committee to discuss your application and your work. This is also a great opportunity for you to ask questions about membership in a cooperative gallery to make sure it is a good fit for you. Please allow about 30 minutes for this process.
At our membership meeting, current members will review your work samples, your portfolio and any publicity or marketing materials that you may have. Keep in mind that we are looking at your artwork as well as your application materials while considering you for membership, so it is in your best interest to bring high quality work that is ready for exhibition. Bring work exactly as you would display it in the gallery – the way that your artwork is framed (or otherwise presented) is also evaluated. All artwork must be identified with name, title, medium and price. We recommend you bring at least five samples of your work that demonstrate your style(s); jewelers may bring more samples. If you are interested in showing numerous mediums in the gallery, please bring a representative sample of each (ie: 5 sculptures and 5 paintings). You must pick up your work from the gallery on the second Wednesday of the month between noon and 8pm – the gallery cannot store artwork. You will be notified by mail of the results.