The Columbia City Gallery is accepts proposals for its Guest Gallery on a rolling basis. The Columbia City Gallery is an artist-run collective that represents 30 local artists. In addition to exhibits of member artists, the gallery has set aside space for our Guest Gallery. We have six Guest Gallery Exhibits per year; each exhibit runs for 7 weeks in conjunction with a member exhibit. Proposals are evaluated quarterly.
Guest Gallery Mission
The mission of the Guest Gallery is to showcase artists who reflect our ethnically diverse neighborhood and present exhibits which express unique viewpoints of special groups or material of particular concern to the community. We seek exhibits that bring fresh, thought provoking visions to Columbia City. Recent Guest Gallery Exhibits have included:
- 保重 Farewell. Curated by Byron Au Yong, this exhibit illustrated personal moments of leave-taking and the public ramifications of migration within an Asian context. Presented in conjunction with Spectrum Dance Theatre’s initiative Beyond Dance: Promoting Awareness and Mutual Understanding.
- Inside Outsider Art presented the work of artists with either physical or mental disabilities who have taken classes through ArtAbility Faire. These work of these ‘outsiders’ is derived entirely from their imagination and resources rather than from conventional ideas of ‘art’ or what art should be. ArtAbility Faire supports local outsider artists in expressing their creative voices, exhibiting & selling their art, and establishing community appreciation.
- PojagiNow: Contemporary interpretations of the Korean Wrapping Cloth, featured the work of local and international artists. The exhibit represented the wide scope of interpretation which this influential Korean tradition has inspired.
A committee will review proposals and make selections based upon artistic excellence, aesthetic breadth, regional representation, and cultural diversity. We are committed to presenting works by emerging and professional artists of all cultures, in all media, techniques and styles. The Guest Gallery exhibits should provide opportunities to a variety of artists, and the show must be juried or curated to assure the works are professional in quality and presentation. Preference will be given to group shows over solo shows, unless the solo shows addresses the needs of a larger community.
The Guest Gallery is generally configured with a maximum of 28 linear feet of wall space. There are a limited number of pedestals available for 3D works. The Exhibitor is responsible for the delivery and removal of all artworks. The gallery ensures professional installation of the exhibit. Two-dimensional works must be framed and three dimensional works must have a steady base and be ready for display. The content must be of a nature that a public entity can display for the enjoyment of a diverse, family-type audience. Columbia City Gallery reserves the right to withhold display of artwork that does not meet display requirements and/or that does not meet a level of professionalism suitable for gallery display.
The gallery will pay for, design and disseminate all publicity materials for the exhibit, including press releases, exhibit postcards and an online announcement. Conditions for exhibiting include the signing of a Consignment Contract. The gallery commission on sales is 50%.
To submit a Proposal, please include the following:
- Guest Gallery Proposal Form [DOC]
- A written description of the exhibit which includes information about the artist(s) and the proposed exhibit concept.
- A CD with up to ten recent digital images of the proposed works. In the event that the works are still in progress, you may submit images that are representative of the type of work that you are proposing. Please submit only high quality JPGs.
- Any brochures or other printed material which may be appropriate.
- Include in the proposal any preference for time of exhibit. The exact dates for installations will be established when the committee reviews the applications.